Keto Chili Rellenos
Makes 4 chili rellenos.
4 Anaheim or Poblano peppers
2 cups shredded fiesta cheese
4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup coconut flour
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Broil both sides of peppers until skin is crispy.
- While broiling peppers, whip egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold yolks back in lightly. Move egg fluff into pie plate for easy coating of peppers. Also mix flour, spices and baking powder into a second pie plate.
- Set peppers in covered bowl to self steam for 10 minutes.
- Peel peppers. The skins should be loose from the roast/steam process. Slit one side and take out the seeds. Stuff them with the shredded cheese. Lightly coat them with a flour mixture consisting of the coconut flour, spices and baking powder. I never need all the flour mixture. I put the rest in a freezer bag and freeze until next time. It just needs a light coating.
- Gently coat them in the egg fluff mixture, then place them in a hot pan with olive oil (don’t skimp on the oil).
- Brown both sides, then serve with salsa, sour cream and cilantro.